If you are caught in the circle of anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder or EDNOS, you are going through hell and hearing all the belittling misconceptions can throw you in an even deeper and darker hole than you already are.
I asked my friends, fellow activists and sufferers on Facebook to identify their most hurtful and harmful myths that could not be further from the truth.
- It is just a phase.
- It is a choice.
- It is always about body image and wanting to be skinny
- Anorexia is the only eating disorder
- Anorexia is the most common eating disorder
- Only teenage girls suffer from eating disorders à at least 10 % are men and it is not uncommon in adults
- It is a white-only disease -> comparable rates of eating disorders have been found in ethnic minorities
- Anorexics do not eat
- It has always to do with control
- Anorexia is the deadliest eating disorder of all -> it has been disputed
- Recovery is fast
- It is easily treatable with full nutrition -> only 50% recover fully, 30% achieve partial recovery and 20% remain chronic
- Once you have reached a healthy weight, you are fine
- If you look healthy, you cannot have an eating disorder
- You will always have EDNOS and issues with Ed
If you would like to leave me some feedback, you can mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can follow me on twitter: @anneso87
Thanks For Subscribing To The Fighting Anorexia Podcast:
Note: My podcasts are now also available on Stitcher!