In this episode of Fighting Anorexia, I talk about going back to work after having been in recovery for a while. Even if you are not recovered yet, but feel better and ready to take on a new project, this topic is designed for you.
I did not want this to happen again, so I decided against a traditional way of starting my career.
There are a few things you should consider before going back to work.
Are you really ready?
I got a job at Starbucks only a few weeks after I came back home from my stay at the treatment facility and I struggled a lot. I made 3 mistakes:
- I wasn’t eating properly.
- I worked 80%, which was too much for me while still so deep in the hell of my eating disorder.
- I I worked with beverages and food.
Here are a few guidelines:
- Don`t rush into it! Give yourself time!
- You need to eat regularly!
- Don’t work in the food area.
Surrounding yourself with food is a form of torture that only works against you. So, if you are serious about working again, avoid working with food.
- Work in a job that has fixed lunch hours and breaks
- Determine how many hours you want to work!
I think that working 40% or 50% is a great way to ease back into the working life and still be able to work on recovery.
- If you want to work in a completely new field, do some soul-searching, go crazy here and think outside the box.
Ask yourself these questions:
What do I enjoy doing?
Which skills do I have?
What would I like to learn?
How do I want my workday to look like?
What are my dreams regarding a career?
Which areas do I see myself working in?
Would I have to get more training in order to get my dream job?
Write down your first thoughts to these question and you will have made a huge step in the right direction.
Remember: Fighting against your eating disorder is your main job!
If you would like to leave me some feedback, you can mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can follow me on twitter: @anneso87
Thanks For Subscribing To The Fighting Anorexia Podcast:
Note: My podcasts are now also available on Stitcher!